Friday, July 9, 2010

The Many Shades of Romance

I think every little girl has an idealized picture of what romance is and what love embodies in their minds. As we grow, and as we mature those ideals may flower and grow but the root ideals remain the same. The realism of each individual ideal matters not because to us it is real; very real.

It took me 5 years of marriage to realize that romance, in reality, is all around me. It's in my husband getting out of bed to check on me when I can't sleep because he notices I'm not there. It's in his little songs he sings to me in an offkey manner to elicit my "oh you" face. It's in him calling my psychiatrist to schedule an emergency appointment becuase I become to depressed to care to do it myself.

Sometimes we take for granted the little things that mean the most.

No comments: