Friday, June 6, 2008

I heard a very mind boggling thing today. I don't know how wide spread this story is but there is apparently a women in Owen Sound, Ontario who was fired for shaving her head for cancer research. I don't know about you, but I feel that firing an employee for taking part in a charitable organization that helps raise money for cancer research slightly excessive. Granted she is a server and in the service industry appearance is unfortunately very heavily weighted but unless somewhere in company policy they prevent employees male or female from shorning their locks, I don't see that it's within their rights to fire or even lay off employees for such a thing. I have personally known waitresses as well as others in the past who shaved their heads for cancer research and I never heard of them receiving anything but congratulations for their kindhearted and selfless act. I'm far from an expert on the legal system aside from being an avid watcher of law and order but I'm of the mind that she should sue them on principle if not for herself than for others who may end up in the same boat. I am pleased to hear though that this story has a happy ending of sorts. She has been hired at another establishment and is even being given extra shifts. I congratulate her new employer for having the common sense that apparently was missing from the afore mentioned employer. Kudos. And to the woman from Owen Sound. Good for you for doing something to make the world a better place and making people aware of this type of situation. Good luck in your new job.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello? Testing....