Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Opportunities For New Beginnings Sometimes Take Us By Surprise


So I mentioned that my laptop died. I lost my writing, my music, my pictures; pretty much anything in electronic form that meant anything to me was lost into the abyss of broken hard drives. I decided I could react in one of two ways. I could be devastated and focus on the negative, writhing in agony over all the things that I lost OR I could look at it as a positive; a chance to start fresh. I decided to go with the latter. I bought myself a new writing journal and decided to keep my writing in 2 forms, my notebook and type it out on my laptop. I bought a fountain pen which makes me feel very artistic and old-school while I write in my notebook which has Edgar Allen Poe gold-embossed on the cover. It's kinda a treat to sit and write in it. It occurred to me as well that the typing aspect could be used as an easy way to edit my work as I go.

I also decided that I would branch out my music tastes. I've been asking people what kinda music they are really into and giving it a listen to see if I can find anything inspiring. So far that's been working well for me. In the last week I've found 3 new bands which I am really digging right now.

Most importantly though I came up with the plan to set lots of small goals for myself right now. Little things which are easy to accomplish so that I can give myself a little boost of self-esteem in a time when I may not be feeling at my best. So far that's been working well too.

So there you go. One bad turn of events triggered a landslide of good events. Its funny how things like that happen. Just when you think nothing can get worse...it gets better.

No comments: